Saturday, November 24, 2012

Generation 1, Chapter 2: New Friends


To take my mind off things, I open up my laptop to chat with Cruz. I ask him how things are going back home, and he says they are going just fine. He doesn't say anything else, and I start to get a bit worried. He's not his usual talkative self. 

hey, can i call you? 

I quickly type back,

ok 



I wait expectantly for my phone to ring and after just about 30 seconds it does. I pick up and instead of hearing a happy "hi!" I hear "Ida, I need to talk to you."

"Ok..." I say, suddenly feeling sick to my stomach. 


"This isn't working. We barely ever get to talk. You're in a whole other world now."

"...and?" I ask expectantly. 

"I don't think...I mean...well...what I mean is for this to work we kind of have to be in the same world"

What? He's not making any sense...or maybe he is.  "...and?" I repeat. 

"And...I think you know what I mean." 

"Wait, Cruz, did you just..." The line goes dead. "Break up with me..." I say slowly, setting the phone down on the table. I head over to my still-open laptop and open up Notepad. 


I name my new book Blatant Lies. It's a fitting title. I should have seen this coming. But I didn't. 

I continue writing far into the night, only going to bed after I have submitted the first few chapters to the publisher. 

I wake up early, despite my late night, and go into the kitchen to make waffles. They aren't too bad, but they're gross compared to the ones Mom used to make. I wash the dishes and then head back to my laptop, hoping to continue my story. But instead, I find myself creating an online dating profile. Why not? You're single now...the voice inside my head says. I browse through the other profiles and end up sending someone named Alexy a message. 

I shut down my laptop and just as I am going to go watch some tv, I hear another "ding". "It's Matt again. Mind buzzing us in?" 

Us? 

I jump up from my chair and go to press the button to let them in. There is someone with Matthew this time. 


"Ida, this is my sister Narcissa. Narcissa, meet Ida." 

Sister? 

Yes, this is most definitely the Matthew from tv. 

"Come on in," I say, feeling less nervous this time. Maybe because there is another girl in the room. I don't know. 

"Matt says you're a published author." Narcissa says immediately. "Good for you. Matt went and mentioned  you to some of his friends, who...yeah, lets just say you're already somewhat known around here. All his fault." she says, jerking her head in Matthew's direction. "I think he-"


"Cissy!" Matt interrupts her, giving her an annoyed look. "Ignore her. She's really-"

"What?" Cissy says, giving him an innocent look. She turns back to me. "As I was saying, I wanted to ask you if you've been to a club before." 

"No..." I say, my voice trailing off. I had heard that Bridgeport is full of clubs, although I have never bin to one. 

"Well, let's go then!" she almost shouts, grabbing Matt and me and dragging us towards the door. "With the way Matt is going, you'll be a celebrity by the end of the week. I obviously need to teach you how to be one." 

And with that, I go to a club for the first time in my life. 

---

Cissy immediately orders us drinks, and shoves one into my hand. 

"Drink." she advises knowingly. "It's good."


She is right. It is good. As soon as I finish it, Cissy is dragging me somewhere else. 

"C'mon! Dance!" she shouts, and I begin to move uncertainly to the music. Matt starts playing the piano, which I didn't even know he could do. Of course, that isn't surprising. I haven't really known him for that long. 


The night flies by. Soon we are being kicked out with promises of "more drinks tomorrow." Cissy is practically bouncing. 

"Best night of your life?" she grins, and hops into the elevator without waiting for an answer. Matt and Cissy drop me off at my apartment, promising to stop by again tomorrow. 

I head to my apartment without even being nervous about the elevator. I guess I got used to them pretty fast. 


I'm sorry, Ida and Cruz's breakup was kind of stupid. But I couldn't think up any other way to do it. ><  Again, I apologize for the bad writing, but hopefully I am getting better. :) 

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to leave comments/feedback! :D Oh, and have a nice rest-of-the-weekend! 

2 comments:

  1. stop apologising for 'bad writing'!! youre 10 hundred billion times better than me haha ;) loving this and glad i finally found a legacy near the begining because usually when i find them theyre on chapter 112 or something and i just cant be bothered to go back. look forward to reading more :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG thank you so much! Your comment means a lot to me <3.

      I know what you mean about legacies always being at generation 5 or something and then not wanting to go back and read more. ><. Again, thank you! :D

      Delete